Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Space Dandy episode 3

Space Dandy episode 3 Review- 

Finally figured out what they use as currency: don't judge me- when there is so much going on that the last thing on my mind is "what do they use for money?" it's something. So Wulongs are their currency. So that means that Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy share the same currency. The more you know.



Plot: The Aloha Oe crash lands on an unknown planet after their warp drive is misused (again) because Dandy wanted to eat free at Boobies. And they find a "defenseless" girl in a wasteland full of bones being chased by aliens.




I really think that that this show is enjoying it's TV-14 rating. Cause that monster transformation actually surprised me (I almost did a spit-take.) with how close it got to an adult rating. Cause for a moment I was close to wondering how they got this one scene on tv- even on Adult Swim. Japan yeah- America and their censorship with the morals that we purport to keep completely sacred for the kids? Iffy. (I do know that Japan has some sort of similar system- but it's Japan. They are weird sometimes. And finally we get my favorite "trope" per se- the "oh god- our cute girl we are totes trying to save is an alien monster that would kill the heroes in two seconds."



"I told you! She's a monster! (And our ship can turn into a robot without warning.)


Got me some vibes of Spongebob the Movie and the Angler fish scene- except the monster is not an old lady and the episode parodies the whole save the damsel and the "reward" that we've accepted. Cause being the hero rocks. And there had to be so people who enjoyed that transformation scene- I didn't. Scared the bejeesus out of me. But we do live in a Post- Gainax world (clarification: by Post-Gainax, I mean that anime fans have become more used to weird anime that throw logic or common decency in terms of episode endings or even rude characters with character flaws- even fanservice for the sake of fanservice has become less shocking. Favorite anime studio (along with Studio Trigger? And I have way too many examples as to why. . .) Yeah- but that a true blog post for another time. (Read: When I have time to look up examples and not make me sound like a fangirl *cough* Evangelion *cough*

Oh and Doctor Gel running away from the planet with his entire fleet because the insatiable eating machine of a monster is on the planet- even with Dandy on the planet and nearly defenseless. Confirmation: Dandy is an awful, awful marksman. And I totally think that he is secretly holding a secret power like Vash the Stampede (which on that note, I need to finish Trigun.) or is related to the Jirol empire or something. Cause he is a coward through and through and couldn't hit a broadside of a barn if it hit him in the face.

Still didn't think Studio Bones had it in them. Especially after they did both Full Metal Alchemist series and my favorite underrated series X'amd: Lost Memories.

So they are totally trying to find ways to kill off the main characters. Cause Meow the Space Cat is eaten by the monster. So the tropes of both Back from the dead and Unexplained recovery are totally in this series.

Next episode: Space zombies? Maybe, maybe not. I've been wrong before with this show. But it looks like space zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment