Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Space Dandy Episode 2


Review of Space Dandy episode 2-

I actually am starting to like this series. I have come to terms that it parodies excessive fanservice in anime (cue rant about how ridiculous the uniform at Space Hooters is- actually in Space Dandy the restaurant chain is called Boobies. . .good lord I can't believe how stupid that is. But when you are parodying Hooters, I guess that is the draw of Hooters.

To get off this one-note track- my point about how pretty the show is still stands. Whenever they warp to a new location- this time to an alternate dimension as the crew of the Aloha Oe (Farewell to Thee in Hawaiian- according to Wikipedia so take with a grain of salt- as they search for the perfect bowl of ramen.



And yes that is the main plot. Short, simple, to the point.

I do have to say that the music, while no Cowboy Bebop, has a style that I enjoy. The music seems very electronic combined with funk. It is actually a nice thing to listen to and the opening song is nice.

And it seems that there might be a recurring female character, Scarlet. Now she was only in the show for like 2 minutes and most of that was a fight scene. But I hope to see more of her cause she reminds me a little, personality wise, to Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop- and its nice to not have a female fanservice character in the show.

Side Note- Dandy reminds me a lot in mannerisms to Johnny Bravo. Mannerisms, speech pattern, woman chasing, and hairstyle all match in some way. But I might just like Johnny Bravo and just noticing similarities between the two.

I have to say I like Meow the Beetlegeusian. A talking space cat? Awesome. And the comedic things that Dandy did to Meow in this episode made this episode.

The whole second plot of the episode was caused by Meow. With the crew going on a quest to find the out of this world ramen. Because Meow ate Dandy's food stash. So Dandy forces him out an airlock- except that Meow has info on where to find this glorious food. So they go. While Meow continually gives away their position to the Gogol Empire through Twitter.

And in a very funny sentence, the Gogol Empire uses Gogol Galaxy Street view (a Google Street view joke.) And I can't take seriously a gorilla wearing an outfit that wouldn't look out of place in a blaxspoitation film.

I am very worried about next week's episode because the episode preview was just closeups of boobs and saying that it will be a fanservice episode. I hope it will not go as planned. Cause fanservice for the sake of fanservice is awful in my eyes. At least make it somewhat comedic. Parody it for goodness sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment