Thursday, July 18, 2013

Skyrim versus Oblivion

Ever since I got the complete version of Skyrim I have had so much nerd time to myself to think about nostalgia when it compares to The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion.

For your information I have only played 40 hours so I have almost no experience in the game (even though I almost am level 18) So take these things with a grain of salt.

First, the install. Compared to Oblivion- Skyrim is both more difficult and easier to install. First of all I only had to install Steam and use the installation disc once (though it took me a while to figure that out) and pretty much everything necessary for initial login was with the box.

With Oblivion, the game was stored on a disc that I always had to have in my disc drive. It was a hassle and it caused messy issues with dirt and grime to collect on the disc. I now can't play the game because of this issue because of the whole issue of it being five years old.

Storyline in Oblivion was worse looking back because I had to run around closing Oblivion Gates that were completely related to the main quest. The cult of Mehrunes Dagon was also a pain to deal with and the good Emperor of Cyrodiil (voiced by Patrick Stewart) gets killed in the first five minutes of gameplay. Then I have to deal with all that "Empire building" stuff. I quit the game in nerd rage since I hated the end quest when the unkillable NPC that was annoying finally could die and I had to complete a Super Gate in thirteen minutes or I would lose.

So I stopped playing in anger.Oh and vampirism is that game was terrible. Plus the leveling sysem in caves was arbitrary and ridiculously difficult.

Now for Skyrim. Let's just say that the quest to explain about gameplay scared me half to death with the first dragon attack that gave me a panic attack with dragon roars and explosions and actual shellshock. It was the manliest thing I have ever seen.

The Dragon language is awesome. The work the development team did with the scratchy look of the language is great. Plus stabbing dragons in the face is awesome. The slowdown attacks that the game sometime lets you do is a great feeling when you are almost dead and then you stab the enemy in the back is an art.

Plus you can turn into a werewolf in the game. That is awesome. I haven't tried the extra stuff like Dawnguard, Hearthfire or Dragonborn add ons but I will.

The Thu'um or shout system is really the only magic I use. Running around shouting at things is awesome. It is hilarious killing things by yelling. All those joke videos about it have grains of truth.  And I haven't turned into a vampire yet.

Only complaints are that the map is massive and there are mountains that I have to climb up the wazoo. And I hate mountains. And trolls. And giants.

Overall a 9/10 from me.

Next topic for my blog will be: fandom and the things that go with them (plus a list of fandoms that I personally enjoy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment